We focus our time and energy in key areas, consistent with Rotary International’s 7 areas of focus:
Beaumaris Rotary supports the Choices program at Beaumaris Secondary School. This project helps students who are at risk of disengaging from school by building their self-confidence and improving their motivation to complete schooling. In 2019 we donated $5000 towards this program, then successfully applied for a 9810 District Grant to extend it further. We will donate $10,000 this year to the Choices Program. Debbie Chaves, Principal of Beaumaris Secondary College says the project is proving highly successful, particularly given the difficult circumstances during Covid lockdowns in 2021.
We also conduct mock interviews for senior students to give them experience in presenting themselves for job interviews. In 2021 we were impressed by the confidence these young people showed in their presentation skills and their impressive CV’s, particularly as their school year had been significantly disrupted by the Covid pandemic.
We have supported a variety of local organisations in different ways:
- 1st Beaumaris Sea Scouts – funding safety matting and shed lighting.
- Beaumaris Life Saving Club – providing legally mandated first aid equipment.
- Matt’s Place – funding a monthly meal service.
- Impact – providing personal care items.
- Angel Tree Project – providing and wrapping Christmas gifts for the children of incarcerated parents.
- Black Rock Foreshore – planting native trees and shrubs.
- Sandringham Hospital – funding an incubator to support babies born by caesarean and a blood cross matching system.
- Holmesglen TAFE – shopping for food items for International Students during Covid.
We try to make difference in our wider community. We actively support Rotary appeals for funds to help with flood relief and storm damage. While there is not much we can physically do, we know the money we raise will be used by Rotarians to make a difference in their communities, most recently here in Victoria, in New South Wales and Queensland.