We focus our time and energy in key areas, consistent with Rotary International’s 7 areas of focus:
Beaumaris Rotary supports the Choices program at Beaumaris Secondary School. This project helps students who are at risk of disengaging from school by building their self-confidence and improving their motivation to complete schooling. Over the past few years, with the help of a District 9810 grant and individual contributions from members we have been able to fund this program. Debbie Chaves, Principal of Beaumaris Secondary College says the project is proving highly successful, particularly given the difficult legacy left following Covid lockdowns and isolation.
We also conduct mock interviews for senior students to give them experience in presenting themselves for job interviews. We have been impressed by the confidence these young people show in their presentation skills and their impressive CV’s.
We have supported a variety of local organisations in different ways. These include:
- BayCISS, Bayside Community Information & Support Service – providing non-perishable food items.
- Bayside Community Care – providing non-perishable food items.
- Matt’s Place – funding a monthly meal service and kitchen equipment.
- Impact – providing personal care items, packing and wrapping gift packs, and delivering “Bags of Love”.
- Angel Tree Project – providing and wrapping Christmas gifts for the children of incarcerated parents.
- Bayside City Council Urban Forest Project – planting native trees and shrubs on the Black Rock foreshore.
- Sandringham Hospital – funding equipment for the upgraded Emergency Department and new Outpatients Area.
- Team Sports 4 All – helping to fund access to community sport for children, no matter their circumstances.
We try to make difference in our wider community. We actively support Rotary appeals for funds to help with flood relief and storm damage. While there is not much we can physically do, we know the money we raise will be used by Rotarians to make a difference in their communities, recently here in Victoria, in New South Wales and Queensland. We have also been able to support the New Zealand flood and Turkish earth quake appeals, both organised and administered by Rotary.